WELCOME TO THE TOWN OF JEFFERSON, SC WEBSITE
JEFFERSON TOWN HALL
The Town of Jefferson is a South Carolina municipality, incorporated in 1904, and located along S.C. 151 in western Chesterfield County. Jefferson is strategically located approximately 125 miles from the South Carolina Grand Strand and Myrtle Beach; 30 miles from Monroe, NC; 50 miles from Charlotte, NC; 175 miles from Wilmington, NC; 175 miles from Columbia, SC; and 180 miles from historic Charleston, SC.
The Town of Jefferson is home to the Jefferson Elementary School, as well as the New Heights Middle School that is located just outside the town limits on S.C. 151 North. Central High School in Pageland serves the Jefferson high school population.
With a population of 753 residents according to the 2010 census, Jefferson is a generally quiet town that provides a great environment for families and children as well as retirees. The Jefferson Recreation Complex consists of several multi-purpose fields managed by the Jefferson Dixie Youth Committee. Approximately 400 youth participated in the Dixie Youth programs in 2013. Those looking for food for the soul will likely find a home at one of Jefferson’s several Protestant churches.
Jefferson shares the western portion of Chesterfield County with two other municipalities also located on S.C. 151: McBee and Pageland. Jefferson is facing challenges like many small towns in South Carolina and the U.S., and jobs are greatly needed for area residents. In recent years Family Dollar and Dollar General stores have located in Jefferson on S.C. 151 Bypass. The town welcomes these new corporate citizens and also welcomes inquiries from other companies interested in having a presence in this area of Chesterfield County and creating new jobs for our citizens. Commercial properties with water and sewer services are available on the S.C. 151 Bypass.
Jefferson provides to its residents and surrounding area quality water and sewer services permitted by the SC Department of Health and Environmental Services. The Town also provides weekly curbside solid waste collection, as well as park and recreation services with a very active Dixie Youth baseball/softball program. The Town contracts for law enforcement services with the Chesterfield County Sheriff's Department.
Governing the operations of the Town of Jefferson are Mayor Charles W. Raley, Jr. and four (4) Council Members (Alvin Myers, Wayne Johnson, Amanda Price, and Cecil Rorie. Four full time employees, 1 part-time employee, and 1 part-time Town Administrator assist the Mayor and Council in implementing the Towns policies, programs and services.
Town Council Taking Oath of Office 11/2011
Shown below is Council Member Amanda Price taking the Oath of Office on June 12, 2012 with the assistance of Mayor Chuck Raley. Ms. Price filled the unexpired term of former Councilman Stewart Johnson who resigned.
1. Garbage pick-up is on Thursday morning of each week effective August 8, 2013. Carts should be placed at the curb prior to 6:00 a.m.
3. Dixie Youth Baseball/Softball 2015 Spring ball season is underway. Baseball/softball registration forms and other information may be found on our Recreation Page. Also, you may contact Tommy Catoe at 843-680-2289.
4. A Town-wide annual spring Cleanup Day was held on April 25, 2015. Leaves and limbs were collected throughtout town by Waste Management as were many recyclables that were deposited in garbage dumpsters placed behind the Jefferson Community Center. Be a part of the next Cleanup Day activities. Contact Town Hall for more information (843) 658-7600.
5. The Jefferson Community Center and Helen Shuler Hartman Park are available for rent at very affordable rates for your party, reunion, and other special events. Give us a call to reserve your special date and time. CLICK the links above for photos of the facilities. For the Community Center Rental Application and Conditions/Stipulations,
6. For information on the annual Jefferson Christmas Magic Parade, contact Susan Melton @ 843-622-7676.
7. The Town of Jefferson has adopted the International Building Codes regarding new construction and renovations. The Codes are administered by the Chesterfield County, SC Building Code Official. Contact Town Hall for more information. (843-658-7600)
8. The Mayor and Council recognize the important services provided for Jefferson and surrounding area by our business and commercial establishments. We encourage all residents to support our local businesses. We also welcome new businesses to town. For a Business License Application, CLICK HERE.
Contact Us Today!
Town of Jefferson
PO Box 306
223 N. Main Street
Jefferson, SC 29718
Hours of Operation
8:30 - 1:00 and 2:30 - 5:00 M-T-Th-Fri
8:30 - 1:00 Wed